Winter is here! Now is the perfect time to prepare your home for cold weather and more. Winter maintenance for your home can help lower utility costs, and protect your home from any damages associated with changes in weather and temperature.
This winter stay safe and comfortable by taking these steps to make sure your home stays in good condition through the winter months.
- Clean and/or replace filters and heating systems
- consider changing your filters on a monthly basis
- Inspect doors and windows
- check for cracks, loose screws, gaps, and squeaky hinges
- Inspect electrical outlets
- make sure the outlets do not feel warm to the touch
- Check smoke, carbon monoxide, and security alarms
- replace batteries if needed
- Remove dust and dirt from fans, radiators, and heat registers
- be sure to sweep under appliances as well
- Clean drains in sinks, bathtubs, showers, and dishwasher(s)
- check sinks for signs of dripping
- consider cleaning your garbage disposal blades as well
- Clear any debris in your yard
- rake or mow leaves, remove large sticks etc.
- clean and repair gutters
- Turn off outdoor faucets
- you may have to turn off the shut-off valve
- Store garden hoses and tools in a safe place
- Inspect your chimney
- make sure your chimney is clean and in good condition
- if needed, call a chimney sweep
Now that winter is here, let the cold weather serve as a reminder to get your home in tip-top shape as soon as possible. Prepare your home to stay safe and comfortable, save money on your utility bills, and protect your home from any damages associated with changes in weather and temperature.